[gothic-l] OT - Romanian Historical ?

Nikolai gothologist at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 18 13:07:05 UTC 2001

This is a little off topic...
ok ...this is a Lot off topic, ...but I can think of no better
place to get an answer(s) that I find credible at the moment.

I just read something from another group, and am curious if
anyone knows off hand whether or not there was a mixed
population in this region (mixed as in Hungarians and Romanians,
Carpathians, Wallachians, whatever) and who really "owned" this
region during this time, and how often it changed owners during
this time.
*************
<snipped story>

From:  "Gabriel Bihari" <gabihari at f...>
Date:  Thu May 17, 2001  11:15 am
Subject:  Re: Historians Meet in Dracula's Home

It seems, Romanians try to rewrite history. I can not believe
Vlad Dracul
born in Sighisoara - Segesvar in Hungarian. This town is in
Transsylvania,
but contrary to public belief, Transsylvania has nothing to do
with Vlad
Dracul. Only the book of Bram Stoker put his castle to
Transsylvania.
Transsylvania was belonging to Hungary till the end of the First
World War,
till 1920. At the time of Vlad Drakul, in the 15th century,
Transsylvania
was inhabited almost purely by Hungarians. Vlad was the prince
of Havaselve,
the plain south of Transsylvania, south of the Carpathian
Mountains. The
other area which was inhabited by Romanians at that time was the
Moldova of
today.
Probably to have an area, which provides some distance from the
groving
Turkish Empire, and knowing the savage nature of Vlad, the king
of Hungary
occupied Havaselve. He captured Vlad, who died in the fort of
Buda. That is,
two kilometres far from here, where I am sitting...  :-)
But why did not they invite the Hungarian historians to this
conference, to
the area that was belonging to Hungary for the past thousand
years? I can
guess. Romanian politics wants to rewrite history, so the world
will forget
about the 3 million Hungarians of Transsylvania - now belonging
to Romania,
thanks to the Great Powers...  :-(

Gabriel

>Saturday May 12 1:15 PM ET
>Historians Meet in Dracula's Home
>
>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010512/wl/romania_dracula_1.html
By LUCIAN FILIP, Associated Press Writer

*********************

I have read somewhere that Vlad had either 13 or 14 castles,
keeps, steads, whatever, spread throughout the region including
some in the Transylvanian area. Any historians of Romania here
that can shed some light on this?

Nikolai
^^O^^

=====
Eternally,
ïðîùàíèå
Nikolai
^^O^^
http://www.geocities.com/gothwitches
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dreamed before." ~ Edgar Allen Poe