[gothic-l] Re: Gothic and German Dialects

cstrohmier at YAHOO.COM cstrohmier at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 18 15:34:15 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,
       The comparisions of the Atta unsar with the various Germanic
dialects is very interesting.  Thanks for providing this information.
I am especially interested in the Bavarian Fater unser.  Would you
happen to have the complete text?
Cory

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> > Hope you've enjoyed this screed.
> >
> > -Iusteinus
>

> Hello Iusteinus,
>
> I greately enjoyed your comparisons. Maybe it would also be
> interesting to compare Gothic to other Old German dialects. I found
> the following texts (the first line of the Lord's Prayer) in
different
> Germanic dialects.
>
> My impression is that the Alamannic texts are closest to the
Gothic,
> followed by Rhine-Francian and Bavarian, while the Old Saxon text
of
> the Heliand gives quite a different wording and is perhaps more
> difficult to compare. Given that the texts are fairly similar and
that
> the earliest Alamannic text is separated from the Gothic text by
over
> 400 years, I guess that  Alamannic (or any other Germanic
> dialect) spoken in the 4th century was not at all very different
from
> Gothic. What do you think?
>

> Gothic, 4th century
>
> Atta unsar thu in himinam, weihnai namo thein.
> qimai thiudinassus theins. wairthai wilja theins,
> swe in himina jah ana airthai.
>

> Alamannic, 8th century
>
> Fatar unsar, thu in himile pist, uueihi namon deinan,
> queme rihi dein, uuerte uuiljo dein,
> swe in himile sosa in ertha.
>

> Alamannic, around 780AD (St Gallener Vaterunser)
>
> Fater unseer, thû pist in himile, uuîhi namun dînan,

> qhueme rîhhi dîn, uuerde uuillo diin,
> sô in himile sôsa in erdu.
>

> Rhine-Francian, 9th century (Weissenbrunner Katechismus)
>
> Fater unsêr, thu in himilom bist, giuuîhit sî namo thîn.
> quaeme rîchi thîn. uuerdhe uuilleo thîn,
> sama sô in himile  endi in erthu.
>

> East-Francian, 825AD
>
> Fater unser, thû bist in himile, sî giheilagôt thîn
namo,
> queme thîn rîhhi, sî thîn uuillo,
> sô her in himile ist, sô sî her in erdu,
>

> Bavarian, 9th century
>
> Fater unsêr, der ist in himilom, kæuuîhit uuerde dîn
namo,
> piqueme rîhi dîn, uuesse uuillo dîn,
>  sama ist in himile, enti in erdu.
>

> Old Saxon, 9th century
>
> Fæder ûse thû eart on heofonum, sî thîn nama
gehâlgôd.
> Tôbecume thîn rîce. Geweorthe thîn willa
> on eorthan swâ on heofonum.
>
> Old Saxon, 840AD (Heliand)
>
> Fadar is ûsa firiho barno, the is an them hôhon himila
rîkea.
> Geuuîhid si thîn namo uuordo gehuuilico.
> Cuma thîn craftag rîki. Uuerda thîn uuilleo obar thesa
uuerold alla,
>  sô sama an erdo sô thâr uppa ist an them hôhon
himilrîkea.