Ynt: [gothic-l] Ynt: Re: byzantium to luleå..

TURKIYE DERGISI turktarihi at TTNET.NET.TR
Mon Nov 5 08:46:02 UTC 2001

Hi,

Of course, possible. But I personally do not know any migration from that
north. After the Poltava battle with Russians, Charles refugeed to the
Ottoman state. Ottomans tried too much to convince him to return to his own
country, but he, likely enjoying very hospitality, preferred to stay for a
long time, thus being called 'demirbas', meaning 'untouchable, unmovable and
continuous official property', by contemporary Ottoman authors. But no sign
for any settlement. There are settlements of Belorussians, Polonians and
Hungarians (today only Polonians keep their identity, having their own
village just near to Istanbul: Polonezköy). Those are well known and
studied, thanks to very richness and seriousness of Ottoman records, but
nothing about Svedens. If there is an earlier (Byzantihe time) settlement,
you are OK. One may think on especially the Vareng-Rus, who a few times
attacked on Istanbul.

As for lule, my poor English is not sufficient to express it, and I have no
currently (in offfice) a dictionary, but I'll tell you when I learn.

Osman