[gothic-l] Re: Romans and Goths - Slavery vs. Freedom

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Apr 10 11:59:08 UTC 2002

With this title 'Romans and Goths - Slavery vs. Freedom' are you
implying that the Goths had no Slaves - or better were some sort of
anti-slavery activists? Slavery existed in Europe well into the
middle ages and died out only in the 11th or 12th century. The
biggest slave market in medieval northern Europe was apparently in
Dublin, organised and run by the Vikings.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Hope soon to wrap up my series on Roman slavery,
> importance of Gothic cavalry and oats.
>
> Meanwhile the Justinian Code offers some insight
> into Roman slavery. One might remember that
> Justinian was the destroyer of the Ostrogothic
> kingdom in Italy.
>
> J. did not renew the laws concerning slavery. The
> Romans regarded the institution of slavery much as
> produced by warfare, with slaves broadly labeled
> POWs. This principle was retained. Interestingly,
> as J. regarded slaves as non-human beings he
> also seems to have offered some news: a slave
> was an item of property (res or object).
>
> Will later return for some thoughts of J. on runaway
> slaves.
>
> Meanwhile
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil