[gothic-l] Re: Romans and Goths - Slavery vs. Freedom

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Apr 11 05:59:56 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Bertil Haggman" <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> My answer to the question below is no. Can you
> maybe provide the list with some information
> on of Ostrogothic slaveholders in Italy.

Since you accept that the Ostrogoths in Italy had slaves just as the
Romans did, there is no need to search for additional information. At
any rate, if you had argued that Ostrogoths were opposed to slavery
(as your original headline seemed to imply) the burden of proof would
be on you.

> Please note that this is a Gothic list. There are
> a good number of Viking lists you could join to
> discuss Viking slavery.

The example related directly to practices in Ostrogothic Italy and is
therefore well within the limits of this list.