[gothic-l] Re: Ostrogothic Dress

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Feb 6 13:04:33 UTC 2002

>Soeren on the Germanic list is very knowledgeable regarding ships and
>he explained that their is no evidence that sails have been used in
>the 6th century on the Baltic Sea (including the coast outside
>Vaestergoetland). Perhaps on freight ships, but even that is
>speculation.
>

>>  Some of the large "skeppssättningar" stoneships must have used
>sails
>>  or rather their originals.
>>

>Well, as you imply these are outlines of ships made with stones.
>Nothing can be derived about the possible means of locomotion of the
>real boats from that.
>

>>  They date to 8th-5th century BC
>>

>I think at this early time it is resonably safe to dismiss the use of
>sails on the Baltic Sea (including the coast outside Vaestergoetland).
>
>I really wonder, why you feel it necessary to attack my argument, but
>find nothing wrong with Ingemar's proposition that the established
>dating of this rune stone should be changed, because the rider on the
>stone wears what (with some imagination) might be seen as a Phrygian
>cap, which might have been worn by Goths in Italy. Could it be
>because Ingemar's proposition fits your theories, why mine doesn't?
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
I did not comment on the runestone as I have no argument. There are
so many interpretations that I have no opinion.

On the other hand about early Baltic Sea relations I know quite a lot
and learn more every day.

That we have not found any physical sailing ship wrecks from the 6th
century is no argument that they did not sail in the Baltic in the
6th century.

If we have fully developed sailing ships on our picture stones from
the 7th century there must have been a development over some time.

Tore

Access Your PC from Anywhere
It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BxtVhB/7XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM