[gothic-l] On the Possible Scandinavian Origin of the Goths

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jan 4 21:07:53 UTC 2002

Andreas,

Your difference with Andrzej Kokowski are noted
and your preference for Heather and Wolfram is
well known to listmembers.

Gothically

Bertil

my friend Andrzej Kokowsi, who is responsible for "Die Schätze der
Ostgoten", is an excellent archeologist, but unfortunately not a
historian and he did not use (and did not cite) Wolfram's and
Heather's books on the Goths for his historic introduction, but relied
on older historic literature. In the archeological part of the catalogue
he follows the mainstream of modern Polish archeology and defines
the Wielbark culture as autochthonous. His attempt to combine Ernst
Schwarz and Wenskus as historians with his archeological expertise
gives a misleading picture. It was a nice exhibition at Holzminden
(and I gave a lecture on the history of the Goths there which gave a
slightly different view at least to the people who attended it), but I
would not rely on Andrzej Kokowski's historic introduction to the very
fine archeological catalogue he produced for it.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM