[gothic-l] Visi and Ostro

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sat Jan 5 02:20:38 UTC 2002

Oskar wrote:
"I think there's no need to identify neither Ostrogoths nor Visigoths
prior to their later kingdoms.
Heather refers to what you call Ostrogoths as Pannonian Goths, unified
with Thracian Goths, and not until entering Italy as Ostrogoths. I think
that is the neatest way to do it where we don't need to fear too much
confusion over identification and so forth!"

Hi Oskar,

Yes Heather refers to these groups as since long time integrated in the
Roman society with people having official positions in Constantinople et
c.and also the closest lying habitations of Hunnic Goths on the verge to
revolt. Also the two rivalling Theoderics. Still it was not until the
allied Goths and Gepids had beaten Attilas sons that a closer contact
with the former hunnic Goths was possible. Cassiodorus claims  the
vasall kings of the Huns were the family of Amal and hence Theoderics
ancestors back to Ermanarich and further. That is good enough evidence
the Greutungi mainly were the ancestors of Theoderichs followers. Wether
just the term Ostrogoths was invented by Cassiodorus also for the time
passed I dare not say. For Alarich it is, as Andreas states, a little
more complicated but still I'd say the Vesi element -not Visi NB but
Vesi - is the important thing.

Kindly
Ingemar

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!