[gothic-l] Visi and Ostro

Oskar Andersson o.andersson at GAMLABYN.COM
Mon Jan 7 00:09:52 UTC 2002

Ingemar,

why is there a need of using the term prior to the later settlements? That is
mainly my objection. I think settling the record straight is necessary, and I
mean that there's no need to use Visi/Ostro terms prior to Gaul/Spain/Italy.

Best,
Oskar

> Oskar wrote:
> "I think there's no need to identify neither Ostrogoths nor Visigoths
> prior to their later kingdoms.
> Heather refers to what you call Ostrogoths as Pannonian Goths, unified
> with Thracian Goths, and not until entering Italy as Ostrogoths. I think
> that is the neatest way to do it where we don't need to fear too much
> confusion over identification and so forth!"
>

> Hi Oskar,
>
> Yes Heather refers to these groups as since long time integrated in the
> Roman society with people having official positions in Constantinople et
> c.and also the closest lying habitations of Hunnic Goths on the verge to
> revolt. Also the two rivalling Theoderics. Still it was not until the
> allied Goths and Gepids had beaten Attilas sons that a closer contact
> with the former hunnic Goths was possible. Cassiodorus claims  the
> vasall kings of the Huns were the family of Amal and hence Theoderics
> ancestors back to Ermanarich and further. That is good enough evidence
> the Greutungi mainly were the ancestors of Theoderichs followers. Wether
> just the term Ostrogoths was invented by Cassiodorus also for the time
> passed I dare not say. For Alarich it is, as Andreas states, a little
> more complicated but still I'd say the Vesi element -not Visi NB but
> Vesi - is the important thing.
>
> Kindly
> Ingemar

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!