[gothic-l] Re: Solidi

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Jan 14 23:52:05 UTC 2002

>Troels,
>
>that is true, Ulf Hagberg wrote a short article in which he refered
>to Fagerlie, stating that 'the only Ostrogothic coin found in
>Scandinavia was a very worn quarter-siliqua of Theoderic'. I shall
>try to double-check this article in the days ahead, but that was the
>note that I took from it. This would indeed imply that mints like
>Rome and Ravenna and perhaps Pavia are not represented among the
>Scandinavian solidi from 488AD onwards.
>

>>  Later you referred to a website stating that all golden Byzantine
>>  solidi were from the mint of Constantinople, and you confirmed
>this,
>>  when I asked to be sure.
>

>that is not entirely correct. There were many mints in the Byzantine
>empire, with Constantinople, Rome, Alexandria and Carthage among the
>most important. Others included Thessaloniki, Antioch, Jerusamlem,
>Syracus etc. But by far most of the coins were struck at
>Constantinopel.
>

>You emphasized that coins under Theodoric
>>  also were made at Italian mints in the names of Anastasius and
>>  Justin, but in the same letter you stated that the coins in
>>  Scandinavia did not come from Italy (MSG 5485 - and earlier 5326).
>>

>That is correct. Italian issues in the names of Anastasius and Justin
>were made by Theoderic and are Ostrogothic.
>

>>  Friday Tore provided us with the conclusions of Fagerlie. There I
>>  read her stating that an increasing number of the solidi in
>>  Scandinavia were from the Italian mints moving from Leo I to Justin
>>  until the stream of gold totally ceased under Justinian.
>

>That is right and I am surprised by it because it seems to contradict
>my reading of the Hagberg article. However, these conclusions are
>rather difficult to interpret. She writes "Under Anastasius, for the
>first time, western issues almost equal eastern issues and the
>identities among western issues continue to be common. The Italian
>issues of the ostrogoths were the most immediate source of the solidi
>at this timje and were supplemented by other western imitations and
>official eastern issues in circulation in the West?"
>
>I absolutely don't understand why she poses this as a question,
>because her catalogue of these coin finds should provide a definite
>answer. Unless, she is not refereing to the Scandinavian solidi in
>this case, but to solidi circulation in general at the time.
>
>Also, she states that these Scandinavian solidi circulated only on a
>few islands like Gotland, Oeland and Bornholm, but not in Scandinavia
>proper, adding that this is very surprising. Hagberg's statement may
>have thus refered to Scandinavia proper excluding the bulk of the
>solidi. Strange, but that might be the answer. As I said, I am very
>interest in this and shall try to clarify this and let you know what
>I find.
>
>Dirk

Dirk and Troels,

I have been analyzing the chapters Finds and Identical dies.
In order to discuss the same source I have put these chapters on
http://w1.855.telia.com/~u85528681/Fagerlie/

Tore

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search