[gothic-l] Gustavus Aldolphus Gothicus

Stephen Mark Carey smcarey at ARTSCI.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Mar 13 16:30:57 UTC 2002

ooppppppS!!!!! sorry -- pretty funny though --

Maybe the lateness of the Gothic shifts indicate a migration southward --
in that case maybe were are looking a migratory loop from the sourthern
Urkaine up through what was Prussia into Scandavia and Europe (Poland?
Germany)  with a  southerly tendancy.

Stephen Mark Carey, Ph.D.
Department of German Studies
117 Trimble Hall
Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30322
(404) 727 0820

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Stephen Mark Carey wrote:

> > The Germanic language may in fact stem from Scandinavia,
> > since such a new language would need a certain incubation
> > time, or isolation, in order to develop independently
> > of neighboring languages. Probably in Sweden, since this was
> > a very rich country with many natural resources - and also
> > suitably isolated.
>
> Well, yes, if "Sweden" extends further south than the high points of
> Aldophus Gustav's conquests. All evidence seems to indicate that Germanic
> was a broad phenomenon -- and not to take light of your post -- northern
> influences continued, through migratations to affect the development of
> German will into the common era -- but what is interesting here is that
> the "Gothic" activity -- in terms of language seems to be taking place
> further south than Scandavia -- and I now
> get the feeling that most on the list are
> really discussing Goths who never spoke Gothic.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM