[gothic-l] Re:The Giant joke and languages

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Thu Mar 28 02:00:58 UTC 2002

Hi Keth,

you answered Bertils  citation below :

> You say that both Italy and Spain, as well as France and England
> stand "on the shoulders of Scandinavians". That would of necessity
> make Scandinavia into a Giant, wouldn't it?
>
> Well, I just thought it a bit comical, as if referring to
> a cover for Thomas Hobbes.

Dear Keth,

I think you and other are a bit too rude towards Bertil. There is no
universal agreement that there is no connection between Goths and
Scandinavia,  and there is definitely a connection between Scandinavia
and the Anglo-Saxons kingdoms in England. I for one maintain the opinion
there is a connection between the Nordic countries and the Continental
Goths, and  you may easily  see my arguments for that in my book
Goterkällan whose language is easy for you to read. I have however no
intention to go into a long discussion referring it all, because I have
simply not time. I have already long ago sent a summary in English to
the list and there is also a German Zusammenfassung available. Suffice
it to say I find Bertils opinion one of several that should be
respected, even if the editors may have exagerrated their presentation a
bit. I never saw the program. Remenber Yurij Knysch has already made
some new promising openings in this issue. We are all the time talking
hypothesis and I beleive we will probably never know the truth for sure.
Bertil however might maybe also consider to have a little more humble
approach considering the general uncertainty in the question of origin.

About the linguistic education in Norway that you paint so vividly I am
indeed shocked. I thought it was bad in Sweden but in Norway it must be
a catastroph. German is one of the major and important languages wich is
nessecary to know  to be able to cope both with business and research,
not least historical and archaeological research, and just to be able to
move and associate  with  our fellow europeans. With English, French and
German you can go almost anywhere and be understood. If you  also speak
Spanish it is the better but those three will make it. Besides  speaking
German makes it also possible for me to read a Dutch book and understand
it decently and my French and Latin makes it possible to read and
understand Spanish in the same manner even if I do not speak it. I hope
the situation in Norway will improve. Brockhaus seems interesting indeed
if awailable on the net, but I think the Germanisches Reallexikon will
never be outdated as a good complement.

Best wishes/die besten Grüße/ med venlig hilsen/hjärtliga
hälsningar/salutations cordiales et c.

Ingemar

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.