[gothic-l] Re:The Giant joke and languages

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Mar 28 09:40:53 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:

> Dear Keth,
>
> I think you and other are a bit too rude towards Bertil.

Dear Ingemar,

I really don't think that it was Keth who was the rude one here. We
do have different views about this old origin problem. However, this
should not stifle all discussions about the Goths. Even a debate
about the Roman cavalry is tainted by indirect overtones of
Nordic/Germanic superiority, which does not hold up to any scrutiny.
Of course everybody has the right to present his/her views, but what
is most annoying is the gross unprofessionality displayed in this:
attacking the reputation of scholars, belittlement of their work,
belittlement of the views of others, deliberate mis-quoting, 'over-
the-head arguing', resorting to unpolite addresses (e.g. 'this Knysh'
or recently 'the O'Neill') etc, are all things that the person you
are seeking to protect from Keth's alledged rudeness is guilty of
himself in practically any debate.

cheers,

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search