[gothic-l] Re: Arianism

Hieromonk Maximos frmaximos at MONASTERY.ORG
Thu Jul 3 22:49:42 UTC 2003

>--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Hieromonk Maximos <frmaximos at m...>
>
>Hi again Maximos,
>
>I have read your text carefully and I also re-read mine. I see that we
>both are a little unclear and so I must make  a more clear definition
>of filioque. It is true the 'que' is of Western origin mostly as the
>original text proposed in Constantinople in 382. The decision however
>was to exclude that 'que' and replace it with "The  Father through the
>son and the spirit". The Westerners later, as you say,  replaced the
>original meaning with the earlier proposed " The Father and -que- the
>son through the spirit. I am sorry I misunderstood that part in your
>writing.
>
>My best wishes
>Ingemar

True, I think we were perhaps a little less precise then we could
have been. I should have said, that the filoque was introduced into
Western usage in Spain at a council held in Toledo.

The Eastern Church has never adopted the filoque and the form we use
is the" Holy Spirit proceedeth from the Father "( only) the so-called
" double procession" that is the proposed ontological procession, is
specifically condemned as heresy by the Eastern Church ( this is
clearly defined by St.Photios of Constantinople) The later idea of
the reference to the temporal procession of the Holy Spirit from the
Son ( as at Pentecost) is of course correct, but this is not what the
Creed is referring to at that point in the text.

I hope that is clearer, though theology is by its nature always a bit fuzzy.

Save on Coral Calcium. Get Better Health and
Stronger Bones. Seen on TV
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid-2805&lp=calcium2.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9gf46B/EfUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM