[gothic-l] Re; Jutes and Goths

Sunny sunnyjat12002 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 7 15:28:34 UTC 2003

 Hi Dirk,

Your point about Shore's book is taken, but I believe one should not
throw the baby out with the bath water.

I can understand your belief about Goths and Getae, but why not
connection between Goths and Jutes?  They are virtually adjacent to
each other.

A few comments:

"That is of course wrong again. As Francisc has explained at length,
Getae have nothing to do with Germanic tribes like Goti or Jutae.
Also the apparent similarity between Jutae and Gutae is a fallacy.
The name Jutae is in its earliest forms rendered as Eucci, Euthiones,
Eotas, etc."

Why can't the Jutes, be a palatalization Gutes or Gutae?  Also, isn't
Latin "I" followed by another vowel, the same sound as Anglo-
Saxon "J"?  So, could the Iotas and Iuthiones be Jotas, and Juthiones?

"In short, try to get access to a modern book on Germanic peoples. A
lot has happened since 1670, 1906 and the present time."

Suggestions?; in Latin or English please.

Regards,

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM