[gothic-l] Re: Christensen's book on the Goths

Ravi Chaudhary ravichaudhary2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 13 21:14:29 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> I have had a first quick read-through of the new book by Arne Soby
> Christensen „Cassiodorus Jordanes and the History of the Goths",
> Museum Tusculum Press, University of Copenhagen, 2002.
> another view:

 Ravi: I posted the above on the Jathistory list, here is a response
I got:

Ravi

Sunny Singh writes:

 just a supplement - I have indeed studied
Christensen very carefully, and I caught the caveat, which
undoubtedly may be an important hole in this individual's theory.

As a repeat, A.S. Christensen of the University of Copenhagen, argues
that the identification of the Goths with the Getae by the classical
writers is erroneous (Christensen 2002). However, Christensen still
comments on the following point made by Jakob Grimm:

J. Grimm was the last to defend an opposing view, based on the
argument that the Getae are mentioned during early Antiquity. They
later disappear completely, while the Goths appear in the sources at
approximately the same time. Was it conceivable that the Getae just
suddenly disappeared? His point is, of course, that a certain people
were initially referred to as Getae and later came to be called Goths
(Christensen 2002: 247).

Is it not that that Grimm was on to something? Does this not imply
that Goth is a new name for the same people? Why is this point simply
smoothed over?

Another authority, this time a respectable linguistic scholar in his
own day, Bosworth, makes the same assertion as Grimm:

According to the opinion of many Scandinavian antiquaries, the Goths
who overran the Roman empire, came from Scandinavian or Sweden; but
Tacitus speaks of no Goths in Scandinavia, and only of Suiones, which
is the same name that the Swen-skar (Swedes) apply to themselves at
the present day. It is therefore more probable, as some learned
Swedes acknowledge, that the when the Goths wandered towards the west
and south of Europe, some of them, in early times, crossed the Baltic
and established themselves in the south of Sweden and the island of
Gothland. We know from Tacitus, just cited, that the Goths that the
Goths were in Pomeralia and Prussia, near the Vistula, about A.D. 80

(Bosworth 1848: 113-114).

Is it not fitting to examine this view? Best Wishes,

Bosworth, J. The Origin of the English, Germanic and Scandinavian
Languages, and Nations. London. Longman, Brown, Green, and Longsman:
1848.

Christensen, A.S. Cassidorus Jordanses and the History of the Goths
Studies in a Migration Myth. Copenhagen. Museum Tusculanum Press:
2002.

PS - Please see Wolfram's book on Goths, for a more balanced view and
a more honest approach.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM