[gothic-l] Re: Christensen's book on the Goths

Ravi Chaudhary ravichaudhary2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 13 21:20:40 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary" <

Response from Sunny Singh to a query as to importance>
  ***********
I believe the Goths, a Germanic people, were
partly formed from the same ancestors of our Jat people.

Christensen's book argues that the Goths came from solely Scandinavia.

The book disregards the works of all classical writers of that period
as Erroneous – what gives this person that right? In fact, if read
very carefully, it is a deliberate attempt to put at rest the
Scythian origin of Goths – since the Scandinavians want to be
considered the exclusive pro-generators of the European nations.

One may ask a logical question – how could such a cold and un-
enticing climate give birth to so many nations? I mean it is not
densely populated today!

I will not say the Goths entirely came from Scythia, but definitely
in part – as evidence by their habits, their dress, their art, the
classical writers, their intermarriage with other Scythian tribes
such as Alans, and their clan names – Gill, Mann, Hans, etc.

Also the Goths were regularly term "Black Mantles" by the classical
writers – this likely refers to their peaked-caps worn by the
Massagetae – kind of like witches-hats!

Regards,

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM