[gothic-l] Re: Christensen's book on the Goths

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jun 16 11:34:12 UTC 2003

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary"
<ravichaudhary2000 at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Chaudhary" <
> >
> Response from Sunny Singh to a query as to importance>
>   ***********
> I believe the Goths, a Germanic people, were
> partly formed from the same ancestors of our Jat people.
>
> Christensen's book argues that the Goths came from solely
Scandinavia.

Quite the opposite, Sunny Singh needs to read the book first, before
commenting.

> The book disregards the works of all classical writers of that
period
> as Erroneous – what gives this person that right?

Firstly, it does not disregard the works of all classical writers.
This is utter nonsense. Again, Sunny should read the book first.

In fact, if read
> very carefully, it is a deliberate attempt to put at rest the
> Scythian origin of Goths – since the Scandinavians want to be
> considered the exclusive pro-generators of the European nations.

Why does Sunny speak of reading something carefully, when he has
clearly not the faintest idea what the book is about? The book by
Christensen almost exclusively argues the opposite of what Sunny
thinks it argues.

> One may ask a logical question – how could such a cold and un-
> enticing climate give birth to so many nations? I mean it is not
> densely populated today!
>
> I will not say the Goths entirely came from Scythia, but definitely
> in part – as evidence by their habits, their dress, their art, the
> classical writers, their intermarriage with other Scythian tribes
> such as Alans, and their clan names – Gill, Mann, Hans, etc.
>
> Also the Goths were regularly term "Black Mantles" by the classical
> writers – this likely refers to their peaked-caps worn by the
> Massagetae – kind of like witches-hats!

Oh dear!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM