[gothic-l] Re: Boyar and related

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Thu Sep 25 23:35:15 UTC 2003

Hi Tore!

Västergötland and Dalsland at least were divided into several bon in
the early Middle Ages. It is  mentioned in the  Västgötalagen which
was written down some time before 1250 but is based on oral tradition.
We also have the so called  bosgårdar who most probably were
established in cooperation with the king and the Cistercienses in the
12th c. The bosgårdar were the last to have thralls and they have been
compared both with Polish Boz meaning god and also with with royal
tax-collectors in Holstein ,former Denmark. Read the article by Einar
Persson in Götiska Minnen 106, 1990. The kings-yards were however not
the same as Bosgårdar. Look in the NE for 'Skalunda' and you will find
in the text that it former was Skalunda bo.

Best
Ingemar

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >Hi Gazariah,
> >
> >There is indeed  something called 'bo' in Sweden in old administration
> >during Early Middle ages and possibly already during late Viking
> >period. It is an administrative area like a county or similar, and
> >there was a kings-yard centrally in every bo headed by a loyal
> >chieftain. The expression bojarl must most surely indicate just such a
> >chieftain being responsible for the bo.
> >
> >Best greetings
> >Ingemar
> >

> Hi Ingemar!
> Very interesting. Never heard of it. Is it something special for
Västergötland?

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/wWMplB/TM