[gothic-l] Re: Kovel cursive runes? Rinnandeins runos fram Kaubaila?

llama_nom penterakt at FSMAIL.NET
Wed Feb 25 11:49:24 UTC 2004

Does anyone know anywhere on
> the internet with images of these and other East Germanic runic
> inscriptions?

> Her sind thos us _Letcani_ jah _Szabadbattyan_ innmeleinos mith
> Pietroassa hriggs, in "Chapter 5":
>
> http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/arts/j.h.looijenga/

Thanks for all the thoughts on those Kovel symbols - yes, I got a bit
carried away there, before I'd seen a proper picture.  Regarding
other possible Gothic (or East Germanic) inscriptions, I've got the
following list.

Aquincum - brooch, FUTHARKGW ...L AIG K(I)NgJA
Bezenye - two brooches, UNJA : GODAHI(L)D + SEGUN : ARSIBODA
Breza - stone pillar, (a futhark)
Charnay - fibula brooch, U(N)THFINTHAI IDDAN LIANO
Dahmsdorf - spearhead, RAN(N)JA
Körlin - ring, ALU
Körlin - bracteate, WAIGA
Kovel - spearhead, TILARITHS
Letcani - spindle whorl, RANGO : ADONSUFH(E?/M?)
Pietroassa - ring, GUTANI OTHAL (or JER) WEIH HAILAG
Rozwadow - speahead, ???KRLUS
Szabadbattjyan - beltbuckle, MAR(I)NgS
Wapno - bracteate, SABAR (?name: Saba-r(eiks/eths?)

Many of these are discussed by Looijenga (see the address above).
She believes that Breza is actually Langobardic, and Aquincum either
Suebic or Langobardic (just from the location?).  Also, I doubt that
Bezenye is Gothic, since the O in -BODA ought to be a U (cf.
Pietroassa).  Charnay, of course, is considered Burgundian.

The Kiel Runenproject has a few more Eastern European finds that look
intriguing, but I've not been able to find much/any information on
the following, which I haven't spotted (yet) in Looijenga's book:

http://www.runenprojekt.uni-kiel.de/abfragen/standard/default.htm

Beresina, bracteate (Russia)
Debrecen, bracteate (Hungary)
Szatmár, two bracteates (Hungary)
Asch, small stone (Czech Republic)
Hainspach, axe (Czech Republic)
Sedschütz, clay pot (Poland)
Zirchow, small stone (Poland)

The Hungarian bracteates seem especially curious, and appear to all
have the same inscription - along the lines of (tualeltl) ? (lni) ? -
has this ever been interpreted?  Does anyone know of any online
images or discussions of these?

Gerhard Koebler, in an appendix to his Gotisches Woerterbuch,
includes as 'East Germanic' some words derived from Scandinavian
runic finds: GAOIS, from the Mos spearhead (Gotland), perhaps on
account of its -S ending.  He also mentions the Etelhem fibula
(Sweden), though I'm not sure what the East Germanic connection is
here.  And there's a Danish inscription containing the word NIUJIL,
which Looijenga says is East Germanic in comparison with NIUW- which
is West.  But what would the Proto-Norse form be?

There are some good drawings here, including Bezenye, Charnay, Breza,
Kovel, Pietroassa:

http://home.no.net/ekerilar/europe-rune.htm

Llama Nom