[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Language (Romans 1-3 Reconstruction)

llama_nom 600cell at FSMAIL.NET
Mon Oct 18 15:44:36 UTC 2004

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at y...> wrote:

> Llama-
>
> I had a detailed reply before but I had to log back into yahoo and
> lost everything. Pretty frustrating.

I typed my last two longer messages on Word and then copied them
over.  Otherwise, I'm trying to cultivate a nervous twitch of
constantly selecting all the text in the message and copying, just in
case.  But I sometimes get carried away and forget.

> -Bruk was apparently an attempt to match Go. translations of
> craomai verbs (related to crhsin) "need, use" more than "use,
> custom".  In this sense,  andawizn also is fitting.

Is that 'need' as in: "what is required by nature"?  But then the
same word is used for the 'unnatural' too.  ANDAWIZNS (=Gk.
opso^nion, Lat. stipendium, necessitas) I take to be something
like "what is necessary to live on: food/expenses/supplies".  I still
reckon SIDUS/BIUHTI might be closest.

> 6. in flaimei sijufl jah jus haitainai Iesuis Xristaus

haitanai (...appologies if I already mentioned it, I can't remember)

> In 1:16 the use of "faurthis"

Seems reasonable to me.  = prooton, as in Mt 5,24, and your Rom 1,8.

> 21. ...riqizidedun unwita hairtona seina.

Isn't eskotisthee passive?  KJB has "and their foolish heart was
darkened" = eskotisthee hee asunetos autoon kardia.  I'm afraid my
ignorance of Greek will come into play here.  What is this
literally?  Does asunetos agree with kardia?  Kardia is singular,
isn't it?  Is this an example of an odd word order in the Greek being
used to rhetorical effect?  How about: riqizith warth hairto ize
thata unwito (thata unwito hairto ize, thata unwito ize hairto,
unwito hairto ize) – or some variation on that?  I'll have a look for
anything that might be comparable (demonstrative + possessive) in the
Skeireins some time.  Maybe all of them are possible...  Oh,
according to Wright "the reflexive pronoun always relates to the
subject of its own sentence" – so maybe ize rather than sein, if the
subject changes to "heart" here.

gawairthi,
Llama Nom (jah wenja ei gamuneis thammei ufarmunodes!)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM