[gothic-l] Re: bireikei* & bnauan* (Köbler)

llama_nom 600cell at FSMAIL.NET
Tue Oct 26 15:07:01 UTC 2004

*BI-REIK- / *BI-REK-

Possible adjectival declension:

-eis (ja)
-s (i)
-us (u)

Some interesting ideas, there.  The Latin connection – if there was
one – could lie either in the choice of a native word, as you say, or
a folk etymology like marikreitus.  I never really understood the
semantic link with rikan `rake, heap up'.  In favour of a derivation
from reik- might be the generally negative connotations of
reiki `state' in the Gothic Bible, as opposed to
thiudinassus `kingdom (e.g. of heaven)' – but this could just be due
to the subject matter.

Latin & Greek spellings of Gothic names sometimes introduce a <b> or
beta respectively, for Gothic initial <w> (Lat. Ubadila, Ubalamirus,
& Gk. Bandaloi (beside Ouandaloi)), which might indicate that the
Gothic <w> was sometimes pronounced with a bit of friction, making it
close to medial <b> (Braune/Helm 40.1).  But the two phonemes seem
perfectly distinct the Gothic texts themselves.

W-loss would be unprecidented, but as you point out, we're missing
analogous contexts (gawrisqand, frawrohiþs, gawrikai, gawalidans,
etc. – would all have the stress on the wr-syllable).  There are
occasional examples in Old English, e.g. aerendraca /
aerendwreca `messenger' – probably due to reduced stress in compound
(Campbell 468).  For a while I was trying to connect the word RANGO
from the Letcani inscription with wruggo and *wriggan – with the idea
of 'twisting' (Looijenga suggests that this word means `spindle
whorl', describing the object it is carved on).  I wondered if it
might have lost the /w/ through alliterative association with
*rukka `distaff' – but then I noticed OE renge `spider'.  Yes,
*biwrekei / *biwrikei seems very logical.  A later association with
reikeis/reiks could could have arisen, and even altered the stem
vowel.

*BNAUAN

Strange.  So where is OIc bnu'a attested, I wonder?  (Not in Zoega,
not in CVig. (I can't find it in the searchable text collection here:
http://www.lexis.hi.is ), and yet Gordon/Taylor `An Introduction to
Old Norse' not only mentions it, but tells us that it has been added
to the reduplicating VIIth conjugation by analogy with snu'a, etc.
Is this an assumption on the basis of nu'a & gnu'a?)  On the other
hand, Wright and Braune/Helm imply that Go. bnauan belonged
originally to Class VII, but may for all we know have become Class 3
weak, like trauan, and partially bauan.

Are there parallels for a loss of /h/ in OIc nu'a?

To be honest I hope you're wrong, as it's a shame to lose a word
beginning /bn/!  Not a great linguistic argument, granted...  At
least my spell checker recognises "fnast", which is some consolation.

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at y...> wrote:

> A couple etymological inquiries:
>
> BI-REIKEI* & BI-REIKEIS*, BI-REKEIS* (GW 93)
>
> "Peril, danger", Lat. periculum; and "imperiled, in danger,
> endangered", Lat. periclitari (with Go. wisan) resp. Of the first
> word we find one instance (dat. Pl. bireikeim 2Kr 11,26 B8), and
> of the second two (Nom. Pl. bireikjai 1Kr 14,30 A; birekjai Luk
> 8,23 CA). Naturally the entry forms are lacking, though those
> given here are aside from the question of the vowel in the root
> syllable of the adjective probable and reasonable. Rather it is
> the etymology which is questioned; Köbler has called both
> unsure. By default we will deal here with the bi-reikei, the noun
> form of the related words.
>
> Reference by Köbler is given under bireikei* to Go. rikan "heap
> up, rake up", Germ. rekan- (GW 440). Here, then, we are to take
> bi- as the prefix and -reikei as a root noun whose semantic
> progress toward the meaning "peril, danger" should be: "raking
> upon, heaping upon" or "be-raking, etc.". Admittedly a stretch,
> unless we are to take the danger as to that which is being
> heaped up, but then our word has become superfluous, inane.
>
> At first glance, comparison is immediately made with those
> words formed on the root which we are to believe has come
> down from a Celtic source and pertains to governship and
> possession: reikeis, reiks (aIA/A) powerful, princely; reiki (nIA)
> rule, realm, power; reik-s 2 (mCons.) ruler, prince; cf. also OE
> rice > MnE rich. But here one may argue that the semantics are
> again problematic: the meaning may be stretched to something
> like "an imposition of power upon or around; oppression,
> subjugation." There is not much precedence or corroboration in
> the Gmc. languages here.
>
> A re-analysis of the word as b[i]reik-ei- may suggest a
> connection to the strong verb brikan break through an ablaut
> form, i.e. *brek-ei-. This approach is perhaps only tenuous at
> best.
>
> One may observe how similar the word sounds to the latin
> gloss. In fact, disregarding the vowels (though both are narrow-
> voweled in the first and second syllables) the only distinction is
> in the first letter, a mere difference of voicing at
that: /'biri:ki:-/ vs. /

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM