[gothic-l] Re: bireikei* & bnauan* (Köbler)

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 28 06:16:34 UTC 2004

> *BNAUAN
>
> Strange.  So where is OIc bnu'a attested, I wonder?  (Not in Zoega,
> not in CVig. (I can't find it in the searchable text collection here:
> http://www.lexis.hi.is ), and yet Gordon/Taylor `An Introduction to
> Old Norse' not only mentions it, but tells us that it has been added
> to the reduplicating VIIth conjugation by analogy with snu'a, etc.
> Is this an assumption on the basis of nu'a & gnu'a?)  On the other
> hand, Wright and Braune/Helm imply that Go. bnauan belonged
> originally to Class VII, but may for all we know have become Class 3
> weak, like trauan, and partially bauan.
>
> Are there parallels for a loss of /h/ in OIc nu'a?
>
> To be honest I hope you're wrong, as it's a shame to lose a word
> beginning /bn/!  Not a great linguistic argument, granted...  At
> least my spell checker recognises "fnast", which is some consolation.

I have to agree. I wrote the piece on bnauan earnestly until looking at Fick. The problem
seemed to me the desire to have *bnauan < *bi-nowwan, when you had sn-, gn- (?<ga-
n-) and hn- forms as well. Anyway I almost erased it, as I did with a couple pieces on ib-
(ibuks, ibdalja).

du- and dis- still bother me. There was a discussion in one of the journals, I read long ago
before taking note of what I was reading. Know of anything concrete?

cheers,
Matthew

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM