[gothic-l] Re: the word "the" as in "the house" or "the car"

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 13 07:38:54 UTC 2005

Vladimir is definitely right: the Spanish definite article, like in
all Romanic languages, comes from Latin. The form "el" compared to
Italian "il" is explainable by the phonetic evolution of Spanish
(opening of short Latin i to e), rather than the influence of the
Arabic aerticle al- (pronounced in Modern Arabic dialects rather like
el-, sometimes il-).
On the other hand, the Spanish definite article changes with gender
and number (el, la, los, las), like in all Romanic languages, whereas
the Arabic definite article has the unique form al-, regardless
gender and number.
Moreover, in Spanish borrowings from Arabic, the Arabic article
appears as "al-" (prefixed), not as "el", like in Alhambra etc.
So, no connection between Spanish el/la/los/las and Arabic al-.

Francisc

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/wWMplB/TM