Romanian etymologies (Re: Gothic religion)

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 4 09:50:26 UTC 2006

Dear D. Ciurchea

This begins to be off-topic, but I don't understand how can you state
that Turkish has Thracian roots?
Turkish is a Turkic language; the Turkic language group is
originating from today's Mongolia, being brought westwards by several
waves of migratory Turkic tribes (Huns, Proto-Bulgars, Avars,
Pechenegs, Cumans, and later the Turkic tribes that generated the
Seldjukids and the Othmans). The Tatars are Turkized Mongols.
The oldest Old Turkic inscription was found at Orkhon, in Mongolia.
Moreover, the Turkic languages are related, within the Altaic family
of languages, with the Mongol and Tungusic-Manchu languages (some
linguists include in the Altaic family also Korean and Japanese).
But Thracian I always knew that it is Indo-European. Or maybe I'm
wrong and it is Altaic? Or maybe you want to afirm that the Thracians
lived in the antiquity also in Mongolia? I don't understand anything
anymore.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at ...>
wrote:

> Those etymologies weren't proposed by me. They are to be found in
> Romanian etymological dictionaries or in other dictionaries
indicating
> etymology, like DEX (available online at http://dexonline.ro/ or
> http://dictionare.edu.ro/), reflecting thus the mainstream opinion
of
> the Romanian linguists. That's all, I didn't invent anything.
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "dciurchea" <dciurchea@> wrote:
> > Dear Feri, in proposing borrowings to Romanian, please be
cautious:
> > Romanian seems to be very old while Turkish has a thracian roots
> > also; you may better forget borrowings from Hungarian such as
Tau,