Neologisms in pdf

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Tue Feb 14 16:04:26 UTC 2006

On 11.02.2006, at 12:13, llama_nom wrote:

> car: alternatively *wagns (cf. Crimean waghen).  But *raida is an
> interesting suggestion too.  The ON cognate reið means both "ride,
> riding" and "vehicle, chariot".
I like _*wagns_. In German _Wagen_ can be used for 'car' (colloquial).

> curiosity: *faurweit > *fairweit (the attested word is `fairweitl',
> a spectacle, something that causes curiosity).

What about _*niuniuths_ ? _Niuths_ is attested in PN _Niudis_.
_Niuths_ would mean 'desire, appetite, zeal'. Cf. OE _níod_, OS
_niud_, OHG _niot_. Thus the word would be modelled after German
_Neugier_. Cf. a similar notion in the Latin idiom "rerum novarum
cupidus".

> inflame: intandjan?  Attested, but metaphorically.  But the English
> word can be literal or metaphorical too: inflamed throat, inflamed
> passions.
Just as German _entzünden/entzündet_ which is also etymologically
close to the Gothic.
However, the simplex, _tandjan_ alone seems already to have that
meaning.

-Frederik wrote:

> i think i once read in the gothic bible that a guy hade
> cloths of camel hair, and then the word tagl was used.

The 'guy' is John the baptist. "Wasuththan Iohannes  gawasiths taglam
ulbandaus" ('with hair of camel') (Marc. I, 6)

David.