Neologisms in pdf

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 14 20:30:54 UTC 2006

> As a understand intandjan mean incinerate, burn up or consume by
fire
> (Köbler) and I think that differ a bit from what I had in mind.
> Can the word inflame be used in the meaning 'inflame a conflict'?

Oh yes, my mistake, I was thinking of 'intundnan' used once
metaphorically in the sense of "burn up with lust"!  You're
right, 'intandjan' is burn/incinerate, used literally of chaff.
Also attested just once.

'inwagjan' is used in the sense to "stir up", "excite" a crowd, i.e.
inflame them with infamatory rhetoric.  To "start up, stir up, or
instigate a conflict" maybe you could use: 'haifst, etc. uswakjan'.
Not attested in this sense in Gothic though; I'm just going by
analogy with other old Gmc languages.  Another possibility
for "encourage, incite, stir up" is 'hvatjan', compare how it's used
in OE and ON.

> > basketball: *sahrjaballus > *sahriballus, *tainiballus.  Long
stems
> > reduce the connecting -ja- to -i.
>
> Is this a rule for all words of all stems?
> I believe the word nati becomes natja in compound words, or am I
> wrong there?

It's the general rule for stems with a -j- when the root is long (I
should have said "long ROOT" there).  See Wright paragraph 389 and
397.  With a short root, like nati, -ja- would be kept in compounds
(although there aren't any compounds of this particular word
attested).  But with a long root, -ja- > -i-.

Long means that the root either has a long vowel (e.g. hait-i), or
ends in more than one consonant (band-i), or has more than one
syllable (ragin-eis).

An exception: frei-hals, rather than *frija-.  Otherwise, I think
diphthongs count as short: niuja-satiþs.

> Waldubasi as walþubasi instead can't I understand.
> Isn't the word waldus? And why should that become walþu- in
compounds?

Not attested in Gothic, but the German and Icelandic forms point to
*walþus.  /ld/ would stay as /ld/ in Icelandic; only /þ/ is
assimilated to /l/ in this way.  In High German /d/ > /t/ while /þ/
> /d/.  As I mentioned, an early sound change in English obscures
the difference: lþ > ld.  In German a forest, in Norse a plain, in
English hills.  Maybe forest is the older meaning, and the others
came about due to all the trees getting chopped down.

> > goalkeeper: *> *mundreins wardja.
> Is the same as frodeiboka > frodabokos working here?
>
> Like mundreiwardja > mundrawardja.

I can't think of an example where an in-stem is the first part of a
compound (which isn't to say there isn't one), but an-stems and on-
stems use the connecting vowel -a-, as do lots of other classes of
words (see Wright).  So it's quite possible.  I just suggested the
genitive compound (like 'baurgswaddjus', 'banjos fulls') to be
safe.  It's not exactly the same situation as froda-, cos here we're
trying to compound the actual in-stem noun ('mundrei'), rather than
an a-stem adjective ('froþs', from which 'frodei' is derived).

> Your suggestion for anarchist, 'reikisaka', is ok. What gender and
> stem?

Masculine an-stem, corresponding to the OE masc. on-stem 'andsaca'.

> If I remember right icelandic has, when it comes to such words,
the
> loaned forms. Like endings in -ism, -ist etc.
> Thats why I have it in these neologisms too. But some could have
> synonyms i think.

They are useful suffixes.  Maybe we could borrow them as -ismus and -
ista.

LN