Neologisms in pdf

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 14 20:56:39 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, David Kiltz <derdron at ...> wrote:

> > curiosity: *faurweit > *fairweit (the attested word is
`fairweitl',
> > a spectacle, something that causes curiosity).
>
> What about _*niuniuths_ ? _Niuths_ is attested in PN _Niudis_.
> _Niuths_ would mean 'desire, appetite, zeal'. Cf. OE _níod_, OS
> _niud_, OHG _niot_. Thus the word would be modelled after German
> _Neugier_. Cf. a similar notion in the Latin idiom "rerum novarum
> cupidus".

Interesting ideas.  How early is Neugier attested in German?  I see
in Grimm that some dialects have (or had) the first part of the
compound as a genitive.  Maybe niuja-niuþs (cf. niuja-satiþs).  A
couple more I thought of ages ago: kunþi-gairnei, witja-gairnei (or
as genitives: kunþjis/witjis gairnei).  But my current favourite is
*fairweit (I think it's in Köbler), because it has two closely
related words attested in Gothic, fairweitl and fairweitjan, and
because it matches OE fyrwit (cf. also OIc. forvitni).

> > inflame: intandjan?  Attested, but metaphorically.  But the
English
> > word can be literal or metaphorical too: inflamed throat,
inflamed
> > passions.
> Just as German _entzünden/entzündet_ which is also etymologically
> close to the Gothic.

Aha, maybe Fredrik's original suggestion is best after all!

> However, the simplex, _tandjan_ alone seems already to have that
> meaning.

Twice as "light" a lamp.

> -Frederik wrote:
>
> > i think i once read in the gothic bible that a guy hade
> > cloths of camel hair, and then the word tagl was used.
>
> The 'guy' is John the baptist. "Wasuththan Iohannes  gawasiths
taglam
> ulbandaus" ('with hair of camel') (Marc. I, 6)
>
> David.

"Zaphod's just this guy, you know."