*gutiska vs.*gutisko

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Jan 3 14:32:32 UTC 2006

Thanks Tore,

So, if Swedish 'gotiska' is just taken from Latin via German, we can
leave that out of the equation.  Then we're left with Icelandic and
Gutnish which both agree on including an -n- in adjectival forms.  Old
Gutnish even adds the -n- in a compound: gutnalþing.  But, more
revealingly, Hlöðskviða, the epic poem preserved in Hervarar saga, has
Gotþjóð = Go. Gutþiuda.  As regulars will know, Matthew has in the
past proposed *gutrazda as a possible name for the language, by
analogy with Go. Gutþiuda.  Alternatively, thinking about a
substantivised adjective, we could point to the lack (as far as I
know) of any -n- in the adjectival forms used by Latin and Greek
authors contemporary with the Goths.  This might suggest *gutisko
rather than *gut(a)nisko.  Or maybe these are just be new formations
in Latin and Greek based on the singular noun *guta.  Likewise with
the plural forms Lat. Gothi, Gr. Gotthoi, beside Gotones--unless the
Goths themselves had an alternate strong plural.

We also have the prefix Hraiþ- on the Rök stone: Hraiþmaraz, the
Gothic sea, corresponding to the OE gen. pl. Hræda in Widsith (see
Chambers, Widsith, p. 252).  A poetic word for Goths, although
Reiðgotaland is also the proper name of the Gothic realm in Hervarar
saga.  This would give Go. *Hraideis, supposing it to be an i-stem.
(*Hraide razda, *Hraidirazda, *Hraidisko, *Hraidigut((a)n)isko?  More
often Anglo-Saxon authors modified the word by folk-etymology to Hreþ-
 "glory", just as Snorri may have taken Reiðgotaland to mean the
Gotland that you could ride across, i.e. the land, as opposed to
Eygotaland "Island Gotland" which comprised the islands of the
legendary King Goti's realm: ''Í þann tíma var kallat allt meginland
þat er hann átti Reiðgotaland, en eyjar allar Eygotaland.''  Any more
possibilities?  *Merigge razda?  *Taírwigge razda?  Anything else we
can rule out?  What exactly is going on in OE?  What can the
continental Germanic languages tell us here?

Llama Nom