Some questions for you who might know

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu May 11 14:26:11 UTC 2006

Go. 'aiz' (i.e. *ais) occurs just once (Mk 6:8).

jah faurbauþ im ei waiht ni nemeina in wig, niba hrugga aina, nih
matibalg nih hlaif nih in gairdos aiz

"forbade them to take anything on the way, except one staff, neither
a bag for food, nor bread, nor money in their belts"

According to Strong's bible dictionary, CALKOS means "copper (the
substance, or some implement or coin made of it)" or "brass"
or "money" [
http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednamebiblecom/kjvstrongs/STRGRK54.htm ]
.  The Gothic word is given as a neuter a-stem by Streitberg, on the
basis of cognates, although from this one example the declension and
gender aren't clear.  The OED gives the meaning of the Old English
cognate as "brass, bronze, copper", which are indeed different
things, but presumably the word could be used for any of them:

"Old English âr brass, bronze, copper, is cognate with Middle Dutch
eer, ere copper, metal, Old Saxon êr brass (Middle Low German êr, re
metal, copper, brass), Old High German êr brass (Middle High German
êr brass, iron), Old Icelandic eir brass, copper, Old Swedish ér
copper, bronze, early modern Danish eer copper, ore, Gothic aiz
money, metal coin < the same Indo-European base as Sanskrit ayas
(base) metal, classical Latin aer-, aes brass."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM