Visigothic identity of Spain

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Fri Oct 20 15:58:55 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin at ...> wrote:

> Hi Ingemar,
>
> you should know that already the Arian Visigoths had percecuted the
> Jews and you should also know that Visigothic Spain had almost no
> contact with the pope in Rome. There is a very good book on the
> Visigothic church, which I have recommended to you earlier. The
> author shows nicely that the contact between Rome and Toledo was so
> spuradic that sometimes 10 to 20 years could pass without any letter
> or any other communication exchanged betweeen the Roman and the
> Visigothic churches.
>
> I know you like to present the Goths in general as the good guys of
> history _ the righteous warriors of justice, tolerance and moral
> superiority. Such a presentations moves like a red line through
> everything you right about the Goths. Yet, this is just not the
> right way to go about it.

Just read Dietrich Claude and you will see that there was an agreement
between the Visigothic king and the Jews that they should be allowed
to have a congregation and function in the society. It is not until
the official conversion to Catholicism that that agreement is
postponed.The councils of Toledo and some of the later kings indeed
then start a grand scale persecution. Mayhap the pope was not directly
involved but the Catholic church indeed was. The Wandals however did
persecute all non Arians but this is not the Visigothic way. The
Ostrogoths under Teodoric even cooperated with the Jews and he as well
ordered a synagouge rebuilt after a mod had destructed it.
I know however that you allways try to inferiorate the Goths and the
Arians in favour of Franks and Catholicism.Nor is that the right way
to go about it.

Cheers
Ingemar

<*> Your email settings: