Visigothic identity of Spain

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 22 07:51:41 UTC 2006

Hi Tom,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, macmaster at ... wrote:

> Language of liturgy and scripture surely had some impact in
distinguishing
> ethnies ... an Arian service in Gothic with bible readings in
Gothic
> clearly had a different impact than a Catholic service in Vulgar
Latin

Using ethnic languages and ad hoc constructed alphabets for the
purposes of evangelization outside the imperial borders was a
characteristic feature of the East (Orthodox) Church throughout its
history. As a consequence we've got a number of distinctive writing
traditions within the sphere of the Byzantine cultural influence,
some of which are still alive and in use nowadays. Copts, Armenians,
Georgians, Slavs – all they received the Scriptures written in their
own languages with their own alphabets from the hands of their
apostles being either Byzantines or half-Byzantines (St. Cyril of
the Slavs) or Greek-educated natives (St. Mesrop Mashtots of the
Armenians). Wulfila and the Goths fit perfectly in with this list.
No matter that they were not Orthodox (the Crimean Goths were).
Monophysite Armenians aren't either. They all represent the East-
Christian tradition of polyglossia as distinguished from the Western
Catholic tradition of Romanization with Latin as the only
permissible liturgical language. A written Coptic text looks much
like Gothic visually; names of some letters in the Georgian alphabet
sound close to those recorded for Late Gothic by Alcuin ([l] Georg.
las - LGo. laaz; [m] Georg. man - LGo. manna); the start letter for
[a] in Old Cyrillic was called azu – cf. aza in Alcuin's. Maybe
these and other similarities are more than pure coincidences.
Whatever they be, there was a quite different technical approach to
the problem of conversion of the Barbarians in the East than in the
West. Thanks to the Byzantine practice of translating the Bible into
the ethnic languages we have now our knowledge of Gothic.

The impact of a liturgy in the native language was indeed different
from one in Latin. Typologically, we probably may compare historic
fortunes of Slavic nations – Orthodox and Catholic respectively – to
figure out hypothetical chances for Goths - staying Arian or
converted to Catholicism - to survive and preserve their ethnicity.

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: