Contemporary language.

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Apr 12 18:58:09 UTC 2007

Hails Friþureik!

> Does 'toja-' have smth to do with taujan?

Yes, compare 'taui' "deed", nom./acc.pl. + dat.sg. 'toja';
'fulla-tojis' "perfect", see Wright: Grammar of the Gothic Language,
section 80.  But maybe 'tauja' is just as good, if this is derived
from the verb, given the analogical vowel in 'taujan'?

> frehawaurd = interrogative. Is 'freha-' from fraihnan?

That's right, with the grade of vowel found in the preterite plural.
I was thinking of German 'fragewort'.  But I don't see any problem
with *fraih(n)awaurd.  Or even: *fraihnassaus waurd (compare Old
English 'frig(e)nes' "inquiry, question")?  Possibly: soknais waurd,
or *sokni-waurd -- but that might have the connotation of debate and
argument, rather than simple inquiry...

> namnadrusts = nominative. Does namo make namna- in compound words?

Good point: probably not.  'nama-drusts' seems be more likely, given
'auga-dauro' (with maybe just a possibility of 'nam-drusts', cp.
man-leika, Gut-þiuda).  I guess I was thinking of Old Norse, where the
'n' had come to be seen as part of the root.  I doubt that the 'n'
would be included in Gothic, although I don't think there are any
examples of compounds of 'namo' attested.

LN