Some new words

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Mon Apr 16 19:43:30 UTC 2007

> Wouldn't it be wise to (re-)construct at once whole word families
rather than single words in cases like "biology" etc – what is
then "biologist" or "biological"? Afaik our only attestation of
–leis is lubjaleisai (pl.) which is an adjective glossing liutai in
2. Tim. 3:13 PONHROI DE ANQRWPOI KAI GOHTES iþ ubilai mannans jah
liutai. I wonder if it could correspond to Greek noun FARMAKOLOGOI.

Besides the substantivised adjective 'lubjaliusai' = GOHTES
"magicians" in the gloss, the abstract noun 'lubjaleisei' is attested
at Gal 5:20 in the nominative, where it translates FARMAKEIA.  Re.
2Tim 3:13, Friedrichsen comments: "The gloss corresponds more closely
to the Greek in the sense 'magician' [...] whilst liutai reflects the
vg. latt. seductores, Ambr[osia]st[er] deceptores" (The Gothic Version
of the Epistles 1939, p. 70).  I suggested -leisei as an actually
attested suffix used to create a term meaning "knowledge of / skill
in" out of a concrete noun.  But -kunþi, and -frodei make convincing
suffixes too.

> Another nice question is why we are so afraid of the so called
international terminology?

I can't speak for the others, but for me it's mainly a matter of
aesthetics.  Also more of a challenge to work out how something could
be expressed with the native vocabulary.

>> music: drunjulists (fem. i-st.)

> Isn't lists attested for something bad?

"Cunning/devious tricks", "wiles" (of the devil, so yes: that's pretty
bad!)  And the adjective 'listeigs' "crafty, sly".

>> participate: dailaniman (sv. IV)
>> participator: dailanimands (masc. nd-st.)

How about the already attested: ga-daila, man.  Attested idioms:
gadaila wisan/wairþan + inanimate noun in the genitive "to partake of,
to receive a share in" (e.g. a benefit) -- although I'm not sure if
the meaning would extend to "to participate in" (e.g. some act); ... +
animate noun in the dative "to be a partaker with; to be partner to".

> There's a verb fair-aihan METECEIN. Doesn't it fit the meaning? And,
why not to keep the elements apart: daila niman, in the verb? Like
arbi niman "to inherit", hunsla saljan "to worship" (lit. "to offer
sacrifices"). Since Gothic didn't separate words in writing it's
difficult (isn't it?) to say whether these semi-compounds (a wrong
term I guess) should be written apart or together in modern style
Latinized orthography. BTW nomen agentis could also be daila-numja
(after arbi-numja).

I would agree to writing as two words, noun and verb.  I think the
clue is that were appropriate the noun-element is inflected for case
and number just like a separate word:  lofam slohun = ERAPISAN
`slapped' (Mt 26:67); wrakos winnand = DIWCQHSONTAI = Lat.
persecutionem patientur `shall suffer persecution' (2Tim 3:12).

> To keep it quite simple, how about hvas-drus, hvis-drus, hvamma-drus
and hvana-drus? The vocative could then probably be o!-drus :-) And
no un-Gothic cases which is a pity.

That's a very neat idea.  And instrumental: hve-drus.

LN