Some new words

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 17 13:41:45 UTC 2007

> biology: libainileisei (fem. i-st.)

Wouldn't it be wise to (re-)construct at once whole word families
rather than single words in cases like "biology" etc – what is
then "biologist" or "biological"? Afaik our only attestation of
–leis is lubjaleisai (pl.) which is an adjective glossing liutai in
2. Tim. 3:13 PONHROI DE ANQRWPOI KAI GOHTES iþ ubilai mannans jah
liutai. I wonder if it could correspond to Greek noun FARMAKOLOGOI.
But how are you to form a word for, say, "biologist"?
Substantivizing the adjective (i.e. lit. "a biological one")? And,
since –leis is not attested as an analogue of Greek –LOGOS resp.
–LOGIKOS, could it also be Go. –kunþi as a second element in names
of sciences, after German and Dutch –kunde? In which case "biology"
could be qiu-kunþi (not to form a compound with a –eins noun since
they are not known, and Go. qius etymologically = Greek
BIOS), "biologist" – qiu-kunþja M.–an, "biological" – qiu-kunþeigs
or qiu-kunþisks.

I think it would be better to use only one ending word. Kunþi might
work, but I prefer leisei.
This can be changed to fasteis like tugglaleisei = astronomy,
tugglafasteis = astronomer.

> dictator: ainaragineis (masc. ja-st.)
> dictatorship: ainaragini (neut. ja-st.)

Isn't it more to "monarchy" or "autocracy"? – cf. fidurragini for
TETRARCOUNTOS, actually for *TETRARCIA. What difference is there
between "dictator" and "autocrator" resp. "monarch" (sorry for a
stupid question)? Is the language expected to distinguish them in
some way?

Yes, you're probably right. Gotta think about this.

> geography: stadileisei (fem. n-st.)

gaiografia (gaiografus „geographer", gaiografikeins/-
grafisks „geographical")? Calqued airþa-meleins (airþa-meljands
cons. st., and what's the adjective?)?

Since geography is knowledge about where places are I think it should
be told by the name. A claque won't do that I think.

> library: bokaheiþ (neut. a-st.)

What is -heiþ?

I've been looking for a word to use here and the only one I found was
pgmc hîþam in http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germwbhinw.html.
This is translated to german 'Lager'.

> music: drunjulists (fem. i-st.)

Isn't lists attested for something bad?

Maybe, I was thinking of icelandic hljómalist.

> drunjus seems to have as much vocal association as saggweis, though
the latter has been shown in sense of "vocal music". Is there a more
neutral "noise" or "sound" word?

I havent found any good word here. Maybe I should change it to
hliuma. I know that this might be even worse, but it would be more
similar to icelandic.

> cheese: justs (masc. a-st.)

Also the Latin borrowing (at least for hard cheese)= *kaseis ?

These words should maybe have different meanings. Kaseis for hard
cheese and justs for smth else, like cottage cheese?

> factory: waurkismiþjo (fem. n-st.)

Or, waurki-staþs, waurki-gards, &c.?

Yes. I used smiþjo because I have used gasmiþjo for production and
gasmiþjon for produce.

> deer: hairuts (masc. a-st.)

Good. Another one is *ráiha, man.; *ráiho, fon.

Wouldn't this be roe deer?

> smoke: raukjan (wv.1)

Yes, this would be the transitive form. The intransitive would be the
strong verb *riukan II.

I was thinking a little in the way to use it as in swedish.
riukan is the same as sw. ryka and raukjan would be the same as röka.
Raukjan would be used as to smoke a cigarette.

> squirrel: aiqairna (masc. n-st.)

Maybe, or could it possibly be *aik-waírna, man.? Fick-Falk-Torp
refers to *aik- "oak", but says not directly from this word. And is
it any relation to widuwaírna "orphan"?

I guess it's just a later association with aik but -(w)airna could be
the same as in widuwairna and thiwairna.
But maybe the goths did the same association and wouldve written it
aikwairna.