Contemporary language. [Database]

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 17 20:00:48 UTC 2007

Gothic has already the word "usmet", na. for culture. It also means
behavior, conduct, life of a citizen, cultural community, society,
polity and way of life.

For archaeology Icelandic has fornleifafrædi. This in Gothic might be
? *fairnjalaibafrodei

Obviously the examples of -logia in the koine greek have to do with
words or speaking more than study or science, lat. scientia, gk.
gnwsis. -waurdei wouldn't work in these cases. I vote for kunthi or
frodei. There are more roots like witan, laisan, etc. Witan has to do
with knowing, being wise, having seen, etc.; laisan with learning,
teaching, having learnt, etc; kunnjan of course has to do with
familiarity and recognizance; frathjan has to do with understanding,
comprehension.