Drus Griutinge

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Apr 17 21:48:40 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at ...> wrote:

> Very nice work. Wow!
>
> Haven't time to go through it all yet.
> I noticed a couple things first off.
> You use "thata" referring to two masculines,
> thiudans andsomething else. Maybe that could
> or should be "Sa". the alliterative line only
> requires one th- in the first halfline so it couldwork.

Þus awiliudo, Þiudan!  Galaubja, þatei "þata" in swaleikaim frisahtim
fagr ist.

Thanks Thiudans!  I think "thata" is okay in such examples.

"Das neutr. Pron. steht ohne Rücksicht auf das Genus des
Prädikatsnomens" (Streitberg/Stopp: Gotische Syntax 1981, 236.4).

Gabair (compare): niu þata ist sa timrja, sa sunus Marjins = OUC
hOUTOS ESTIN hO TEKTWN, hO hUIOS THS MARIAS (Mk 6:3); hva ist wens =
TIS ESTIN hH ELPIS (Eph 1:18).

Cf. also OE: þæt wæs gód/grim cyning "that was a good/fierce king"
(masculine); þæt wæs God ælmihtig "that was God almighty" (masculine);
and ON: þat er maðr "that is a man" (masculine); þat er vargr "that is
a wolf" (mascukine); þat var góðr gripr "that was a good treasure"
(masculine); þat var mikill boer ok vegligur "that was a large and
fine farm" (masculine); þat er nú kölluð Sygnakleif "that is now
called Sygnakleif" (feminine).

> Also, I wonder if alliteration of the germanic tradition
> ever allowed st- to go with s- and sn- words.

Not as far as I know.  /st/, /sk/ and /sp/ each only alliterate with
themselves, but /s/ alliterates with /s/, /sm/ or /sn/, e.g. Beowulf
190: singála séað / ne mihte snotor hæleð.

> We see
> in reduplicating verbs that st- is thought of usually
> as an inseperable complex, and in OE and OHG
> poetry I belive sk- and st- had to go only with themselves.

Yes.  Did you spot a mistake?  In "ufsniþanai stainam, / sunjus juþan
bai" there is just single alliteration: /sn/ alliterates only with
/s/, while /st/ isn't part of the pattern (compare Beowulf 44:
þéodgestréonum / þonne þá dydon -- with allit. on þéod- and þá, while
/st/ doesn't take part in the scheme; Beowulf 935: húsa sélest /
heorodréorig stód -- with allit. on /h/, while /s/ and /st/ contrast
and don't take part in the pattern; Beowulf 996: secga gehwylcum /
þára þe on swylc starað -- single allit. on /s/, while /hw/ and /st/
aren't part of the pattern).  Similarly in "ana Danaprais staþam, /
dairnjai saurgai," there is just single alliteration on /d/.

LN