Contemporary language. [Database]

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 18 02:18:42 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at ...> wrote:

> Gothic has already the word "usmet", na. for culture. It also means
> behavior, conduct, life of a citizen, cultural community, society,
> polity and way of life.

I'd doubt that usmet means "culture". Let's see the examples:

1. Tim. 4:12

MHDEIS SOU THS NEOTHTOS KATAFRONEITW ALLA TUPOS GINOU TWN PISTWN EN
LOGWi EN _ANASTROFHi_ EN AGAPHi EN PISTEI EN AGNEIAi

ni manna þeinai jundai frakunni, ak frisahts sijais þaim
galaubjandam in waurda, in _usmeta_, in friaþwai, in galaubeinai, in
swikniþai

Let no man despise thy youth;  but be thou an example of the
believers, in word, in _conversation_, in charity, in spirit, in
faith, in purity

2. Tim. 3:10

SU DE PARHKOLOUQHSAS MOU THi DIDASKALIAi THi _AGWGHi_ THi PROQESEI
THi PISTEI THi MAKROQUMIAi THi AGAPHi THi hUPOMONHi

þu galaista is laiseinai meinai, _usmeta_, muna, [sidau,]
galaubeinai, usbeisnai, frijaþwai, þulainai

But thou hast fully known my doctrine, _manner of life_, purpose,
faith, longsuffering, charity, patience

Eph. 2:12

hOTI HTE TWi KAIRWi EKEINWi CWRIS CRISTOU APHLLOTRIWMENOI THS
_POLITEIAS_ TOU ISRAHL KAI XENOI TWN DIAQHKWN THS EPAGGELIAS ELPIDA
MH ECONTES KAI AQEOI EN TWi KOSMWi

unte wesuþ þan in jainamma mela inu Xristu, framaþjai _usmetis_
Israelis jah gasteis gahaite trausteis, wen ni habandans jah
gudalausai in manasedai

That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the
_commonwealth_ of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of
promise, having no hope, and without God in the world

Eph. 4:22

APOQEESQAI hUMAS KATA THN PROTERAN _ANASTROFHN_ TON PALAION ANQRWPON
TON FQEIROMENON KATA TAS EPIQUMIAS THS APATHS

ei aflagjaiþ jus bi frumin _usmeta_ þana fairnjan mannan þana
riurjan bi lustum afmarzeinais

That ye put off  concerning the former _conversation_ the old man,
which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts

Also, in Skeireins:

Skeir. 1:6

...iþ sunjos kunþi du aftraanastodeinai þize in guda _usmete_
gasatjan

which Streitberg [1910:162, s. v. usmet] leads back to Greek THS
ENTQEOU _POLITEIAS_;

Skeir. 1:7

...jah spilla wairþan aiwaggeljons _usmete_

Cf. also the verb us-mitan for ANASTREFEIN "to walk", "to
behave", "to dwell"; POLITEUEIN "to be a citizen".

Usmet may seem to be not a bad word for "archaeological culture" if
we understand it as "way of life" or "community". Still,
*arkaiulaugikeina kultura would create a more strict term.

> For archaeology Icelandic has fornleifafrædi. This in Gothic might
be
> ? *fairnjalaibafrodei

Are there attested examples of Gothic tripartite compounds? Doesn't
it seem a bit cumbersome? Maybe it would do if we are simply to
project Icelandic back into 2nd – 3rd centuries CE. "The wisdom of
the old remains" – that sounds beautiful, of course. Still, maybe
just fairnja-frodei (both elements alliterate) or fairnja-kunþi (cf.
Altertumskunde)? What's your suggestion for "antiquity"?

Ualarauans