Some thoughts on the Danube Crossing of 376

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Tue Jan 16 20:17:42 UTC 2007

- Ammianus doesn't try to estimate the migration's size; Eunapius
estimates 200,000; I don't know the context and don't know whether
this is the negotiated crossing alone.

- Treadgold estimates an imperial population of 16,500,000. This
implies an average provincial population around 300,000.

- Moesia Secunda is the most likely settlement area, because (1) it
borders on Thervingia (2) it has similar climate and soil types to
Thervingia (3) it has fewer cities, and more land, than Scythia
Minor. This suggests lower population density and more available
farmland. (4) The Moesian Goths had already settled in the Moesia
Secunda.

- Many refugee populations are disproportionately composed of women
and children. For instance the refugees from the last Balkan wars
were about 65% female. Below about 100,000 people, I'd assume such
demographics [e.g. for the Vandals]; above about 100,000 people I'd
assume more-or-less balanced demographics.

- When the revolt broke out, the rebels had no existing political
infrastructure. We might point to the personal followings of certain
leaders, the Roman military administration, or the various church
organizations, but it's doubtful that the middle and latter would
facilitate an armed rebellion (though the last could provide a
diplomatic go-between and various non-military stuff).

- Very few rebellions can mobilize more than 3% of the population in
the war effort. That 3% includes militia and support units. The
Yugoslav Partisans may have reached 5% in early 1945. The Chinese
Communist Party probably reached 3% in Yenan in mid-1940, depending
on local  population estimates. The American Revolution peaked at
about 3% for the rebels and somewhat less for the loyalists, but both
sides had decades-old political infrastructure and the administration
to raise regular armies.

- 3% would imply 6,000 fighters and militia out of 200,000 people.
Local rebels could swell these numbers, but would need to defend
their territory, and might contribute very little to the deployable
strength. Trans-Danubian groups could swell these numbers, but there
were probably as many pro-Athanaric people as pro-Fritigern people
still in Thervingia.