joinng group, focus of visigoth

Kristin Marie Wall silvericequeenix at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 17 00:40:37 UTC 2007

Carl,

Indeed, I'm 'hoping' for more insights from families who have lore
or hoarded facts on their visigothic-spanish lineage to share some;
I've met some that do and who want their lineal information kept
private in order to avoid being targetted; I honor their requests
and desire not to share with scholars that would return nothing to
them in recompense for private family information. That is where I'm
coming from, and now I think I understand where your skeptical
reaction is coming from.

I'm a writer, and am in resaerch mode. Thanks for sharing your
interest on the topic and for referring books in English. I read
Spanish, but with a dictionary, mostly.

Cheerio,
Kristin-Marie

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Carl Edlund Anderson <cea at ...>
wrote:

> On 16/03/2007 15:42, Kristin Marie Wall wrote:
> > Do you have visigoth information for me? If so, please email me.
In
> > any event, email me with your skeptical questions so as not to
take
> > up time from the rest of the group. I have my information from
the
> > top echelon families in Spain. I'll be indebted to know the
sources
> > of your skepticism.
>
> I want to emphasize that my skepticism (and, yes, sarcasm) was
_not_
> aimed at you -- but I freely admit it is aimed whoever told about
this
> mysterious information unknown to "the scholars".  I would also
like to
> emphasize that Gothic issues were never my main area of work, but
I do
> know a number of people who have worked on late antique and early
> medieval Spain, including on Visigothic issues, and my skepticism
is
> based on my general background and experience, as well as what
I've
> gleaned about the field from friends and colleagues.
>
> With regard to the particular issue at hand -- that of private
families
> (regardless of their echelon) in Spain having genuine information
about
> Visigothic Spain that is not known to the academic and scholarly
world
> in general -- I think I will leave it at saying I find it utterly
> incredible in every sense of the word.  Of course, it's a free
internet,
> and one can choose to believe what and who one will.  But I am
> _strongly_ inclined to file information alongside concepts such as
> Merovingians being descended from Jesus and Atlanteans building
the
> pyramids.  I'm not a dogmatic knee-jerk kind of guy, though, and I
am
> entirely open to being proven wrong -- it would not be the first
time :)
>   But I would be _extremely_ surprised and (in the event that
there was
> genuine new information available to the world) very happy.
>
> With regards to the topic Visigothic Spain generally, I cannot say
much
> specific that's of any value since that is, as I note, not my area
of
> expertise.  I can say that I know the subject has always been a
> difficult one, and the history of its study is littered with
ethnic,
> religious, and political issues.  (Even during the period of the
> Visigothic kings, ethnicity and identity seems to have been fairly
fluid
> concepts in the Iberian peninsula, thanks to the complicated
religious
> and political situation.)  I fear the best overview of the subject
in
> English is still E.A. Thompson's, _The Goths in Spain_ -- an
excellent
> book, just now 40 years or so old.  More promisingly, there has
been a
> lot of interest in ethnicity and identity in late antiquity and
the
> early medieval period in recent decades, and there's a good deal
of
> Spanish-language scholarship that appeared in the form of journal
> articles and such dealing with such issues regarding various
Roman,
> Visigothic, and Moorish identities (as well as Basque) around the
time
> of the Visigothic kings and also effects of relations with the
Frankish
> polities to the north.  If you read Spanish, seeking out recent
articles
> treating Visigothic identity is probably the best bet.  Visigothic
Spain