joinng group, focus of visigoth

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Mar 16 16:36:00 UTC 2007

On 16/03/2007 15:42, Kristin Marie Wall wrote:
> Do you have visigoth information for me? If so, please email me. In
> any event, email me with your skeptical questions so as not to take
> up time from the rest of the group. I have my information from the
> top echelon families in Spain. I'll be indebted to know the sources
> of your skepticism.

I want to emphasize that my skepticism (and, yes, sarcasm) was _not_
aimed at you -- but I freely admit it is aimed whoever told about this
mysterious information unknown to "the scholars".  I would also like to
emphasize that Gothic issues were never my main area of work, but I do
know a number of people who have worked on late antique and early
medieval Spain, including on Visigothic issues, and my skepticism is
based on my general background and experience, as well as what I've
gleaned about the field from friends and colleagues.

With regard to the particular issue at hand -- that of private families
(regardless of their echelon) in Spain having genuine information about
Visigothic Spain that is not known to the academic and scholarly world
in general -- I think I will leave it at saying I find it utterly
incredible in every sense of the word.  Of course, it's a free internet,
and one can choose to believe what and who one will.  But I am
_strongly_ inclined to file information alongside concepts such as
Merovingians being descended from Jesus and Atlanteans building the
pyramids.  I'm not a dogmatic knee-jerk kind of guy, though, and I am
entirely open to being proven wrong -- it would not be the first time :)
  But I would be _extremely_ surprised and (in the event that there was
genuine new information available to the world) very happy.

With regards to the topic Visigothic Spain generally, I cannot say much
specific that's of any value since that is, as I note, not my area of
expertise.  I can say that I know the subject has always been a
difficult one, and the history of its study is littered with ethnic,
religious, and political issues.  (Even during the period of the
Visigothic kings, ethnicity and identity seems to have been fairly fluid
concepts in the Iberian peninsula, thanks to the complicated religious
and political situation.)  I fear the best overview of the subject in
English is still E.A. Thompson's, _The Goths in Spain_ -- an excellent
book, just now 40 years or so old.  More promisingly, there has been a
lot of interest in ethnicity and identity in late antiquity and the
early medieval period in recent decades, and there's a good deal of
Spanish-language scholarship that appeared in the form of journal
articles and such dealing with such issues regarding various Roman,
Visigothic, and Moorish identities (as well as Basque) around the time
of the Visigothic kings and also effects of relations with the Frankish
polities to the north.  If you read Spanish, seeking out recent articles
treating Visigothic identity is probably the best bet.  Visigothic Spain
is unquestionably a fascinating field over which there surely much
debate yet to come.

Cheers,
Carl

--