translation of Gk. "cwrein"

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Mar 25 15:05:17 UTC 2007

Hails, Þiuadan!

KARA TON KAQARISMON.  My guess would be: 'bi þizai gahraineinai'.  Or
maybe more likely just 'bi gahraineinai'?  'bi' takes dative with the
sense "in accordance with", as in 'bi witoda' = KATA TON NOMON, etc.
see Streitberg II. 3(e) [
http://www.wulfila.be/lib/streitberg/1910/HTML/B019.html ].

LN

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at ...> wrote:

> Hails,
>
> Making my way through the gaps in John.
>
> cwrousai below is a pres. act. part. in nom. fem. pl. meaning
> "admitting of" or "allowing" i.e. being able to hold up to 2 or 3
> metretes of water. Gamotan (gamotandeis) "be admitted etc." would fit
> a passive meaning but I find no evidence of its use in the active or
> some such construction as *gamotnandeis or *gamotan wisandeis. Would
> Gothic prefer a periphrasis here perhaps using bairan or haban and
magan?

> John 2:6
>
> ἦσαν δὲ ἐκεῖ
λίθιναι