New file uploaded to gothic-l (Christmas and Yule)

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 1 18:59:03 UTC 2007

Hails

Good idea. It seems month names could be more flexible and adaptable
in the Germanic world. I think it reasonable to take those month-names
which most closely harmonize with the agricultural schedule of the
societies in the area where Goths lived during the 4th century.
According to the wiki page on Germanic calendars, December has Jul or
its variant.

January in OE, ON supports Jiuleis. OHG supports *hardu-menoths or
maybe eisa-

Feb. OE supports Sauil-, OHG supports Haurna-
Mar. OE Hre∂, ON supports Go. aina-mnths., OHG supports Go.
?*Laggi(?t[h])an(-mnths.)

May, OE & OHG support *threi- or *thrija-miluk-

June OE uses the Li∂ system; ON supports *Sauil- and OHG has Brach-
"fallow"

July ON and OHG both support Go. *hawi- or hauja-mnths.

Aug. revolves around plants and harvest: Go. *asani-mnths "harvest month".

Sep. OE, ON and OHG all support Go. *harbisi-mnths. "picking month".

Oct. lacks agreement.

Nov. might be something like nibla-mnths. or friuza-mnths.

Dec. would be Fruma Jiuleis I think.

It might be good to consider monthnames in the style of ON Heyannir,
OHG Scheiding, etc., that is the abstract or poetic terms rather than
forms dependent on suffixing -menoths.