Ostrogothic settlement

macmaster at RISEUP.NET macmaster at RISEUP.NET
Fri Aug 1 14:35:34 UTC 2008

Logical place for emigrant Ostrogoths would be Visigothic Gaul (Languedoc
was Gothic for quite a while after this).

Quite a few appear to have taken service with the Empire and would
presumably have been dispersed to the East or North Africa.

Most, I would guess, simply stayed put in northern Italy; some as soldiers
of the Empire, others as farmers, etc.  If any Gothic speaking communities
lasted into the Byzantine period, I think we can assume that they 'became'
Lombards after 568 (especially as the main Gothic settlement areas other
than Ravenna were those most Lombardized, this seems the most likely place
for the most Ostrogoths)

We also have to remember that the population of Italy fell considerably
during the reign of Justinian, from war, famine, and plague.  The
Ostrogoths weren't immune to those factors so, likely, they had as sharp a
drop (if not sharper) as everyone else.