Hello

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Dec 14 11:34:05 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:

Hails Friþureik(s)!

> The most common form to greet is to say "hails" and follow by dative,
> e.g. Hails allaim (Hello all)

'hails' is used twice as a greeting or salutation in the Gothic Bible,
once with nominative, once with vocative - never with dative. Both
instances agree with the Greek original. Nominative is used in other
old Germanic languages, which lacked a distinct vocative form. There
is also a longer form in these other languages meaning explicitly "be
well/healthy" (e.g. Old Norse 'vertu heill), which, had it existed in
Gothic would have required the nominative: hailai/hailos/haila sijaiþ
(jus) allai/allos/alla (masculine/feminine/neuter).

'hails' is an adjective in the nominative case, and would probably
have been declined in the usual way for gender and number, as it was
in the equivalent greeting in other old Germanic languages.

> Another usefull one is: Goleins, which you can make plural goleineis,
> and then add fram *your name in genitive*.
> E.g.
>
> Goleineis fram Frithureikis.
>
> means
>
> Greetings from Fredrik

'fram' is always used with the dative, as far as I know, except where
a noun refering to someone's house is implied: gaggiþ sums manne fram
þis fauramaþleis swnagogais "a man came from (the house) of the ruler
of the synagogue" (L 8:49).

'goleins' "greeting" is never attested in the plural. The singular
form occurs at the end of some of the Epistles of Saint Paul, e.g.
'goleins meinai handau Pawlaus' "the salutation by the hand of me
Paul" (I Col 4:18), meaning his signature.  The verb from which it's
derived also occurs: golja izwis ik Tairtius "I, Tertius, greet you
(plural)" (R 16:22).

LN