Hallo hallo!

Johann von Messer furry_von_messer at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 25 03:38:05 UTC 2008

Also, can someone please explain to me the very weird (to me)
placements of definite articles? In one of my books is the dedication
"Qenai meinai þizai liuboston" which is obviously "To my dearest
wife." But that is the definite article doing in there, yet no
preposition? I have seen this is a few other places such as

Ahma sa weiha - The Holy Spirit
Hardeis sa goða - the good shepherd
"...ibai aufto distairai wein þata niujo þans balgins." - "...lest
perchance the new wine burst the bottles."

There's also this that I have trouble grasping from Mark 4:5
"anþaruþþan gadraus ana stainahamma, þarei ni haibada airþa managa,
jah suns urrann in þizei ni haibada diupaizos airþos"
"And another fell on a stony place, where there was not much soil, and
soon rose up because of not having depth of earth."
(("and another fell on stony place, where not had soil much, and soon
rose up because not had deep of soil")) Why is airþa in the genitive
at the end? Is it because of the phrase 'in þizei?' And if so, why
does 'in' make the article genitive?

Also, I'm thinking about translating a Christmas song or two, just for
the hell of it. Should I do the translated, traditional English
version of Silent Night or the original 1816 German lyrics?