skohls (Was: Re: Hails)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Sun Feb 3 21:47:44 UTC 2008

Hails, Walawulf!

I can't see what direct etymological connection there could be between
ON 'skyrsi' and Go. 'skohsl'. If there is any kinship, perhaps it's
just shared sound symbolism [
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_symbolism ]. Grimm also mentions ON
'skass' = 'skars' "witch, troll". And compare OE 'sceocca', 'scucca'
"devil, monster" (Modern English 'shuck'), and derivatives of OE
'scín-' with connotations of magic, illusion, phantoms. But maybe such
names for frightning beings were liable to unusual changes if people
had a superstitious fear of using what they felt was the thing's true
name in case that attracted its attention; euphemistic names were
certainly used of dangerous animals such as wolves. Diefenbach
mentions Swedish wood spirits called 'skogsnerte' and 'skogsnufva',
and various Slavic names for spirits with the element -kus-, -kuz-,
-kud-, as well as the Slavic verb 'skakati' "to jump".

http://books.google.com/books?id=1LAJAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA954&lpg=PA954
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZqAFAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA260

Lama Nom

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Valulfr_Vaerulsson at ... wrote:

> Hails Ualarauans,
>
> Thanks for clearing that up, I think I picked up the association
from Grimm.
> After looking into this further I found this from the
Cleasby-Vigfusson O.Ice.