century, events, deaths

Lombard manielombard at CHELLO.AT
Sun Feb 24 11:42:14 UTC 2008

Hails "Llama nom"

>Or maybe the root fidur- would be used.

Isn't OE. feorþa just a contraction of *feowerþa ?

OE. feower - feorþa

OHG. fior - fiordo

OS. fiwar, fior - *fiwardo, *fiordo (Köbler has "fiuwar" instead of "fiwar")

According to Köbler the Germanic word for 4 is *fedwor.

>There's also a question over whether -d- would be devoiced to -þ- to dissimilate it from the preciding voiced consonant, or whether -d- would be kept by analogy with other >ordinal numerals: *fidurda, *fidurþa, *fidworda, *fidworþa? For comparison, we've got OE. féorða, OS. fiorðo, OHG. fiordo (MHG. vierde, mod.G. vierte), ON. fiórði.

Joseph Wright (Grammar of the Gothic Language; Oxford, 1910): "From þridja onwards the other ordinals were formed from the cardinals by means of the Indg. superlative suffix -to- (§ 244), the t of which regularly remained unshifted in fimfta- and saihsta (§ 128 note 2). In other positions the t became þ by the first sound-shifting (§ 128), then þ became d by Verner's law (§ 136), which regularly became d after n (see §§ 172-3). It is difficult to account for the -u- in ahtuda." (OHG. also has "ahtodo")

Second try:

1st fruma

2nd anþar

3rd þridja