millennium

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 25 23:42:24 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Lombard" <manielombard at ...> wrote:

> I actually meant: "faura Xristáus gabáurþái; afar Xristáus
gabáurþ!"

That's OK grammatically.

> > faura Xristau gabauranamma and afar Xristu gabauranana
respectively. Actually
> this is a calque from Latin (post aliquem natum "after smbd. was
born"), I don't
> know if it was acceptable to say so in genuine Gothic. The accent
on birth may
> be appropriate since we count years from this precise date (be it
real or
> artificially set later), not from "Christ's time" in general.
>

> I don't seem to understand your calque from Latin though (((
>

> So "faura Xristau gabauranamma" literally means "before Christ, a
born one,
> before (a) born Christ"?

Yes, the latter, literally. Queer as it may seem to us, this was the
way the Romans said it. And I think that Gothic with its syntax
heavily depending on classical models could utilize this one, too.

> faura + dat
>
> Xristus (dat. Xristáu)
>
> past participle gabaurans (strong dat gabauranamma < infinitive
gabauran? i. e.
> a form of baíran expressing the passive ?)

Yes, gabaurans is past participle, the infinitive being gabairan "to
give birth". There's no passive infinitive in Gothic, only finite
forms, synthetic in presence (gabairada "I/he/she/it is born") and
analytical in preterite (gabaurans was/warþ "I/he/she/it was born").

> Why not faura Xristáu þamma gabáuranim?

þamma gabauranin? Hmm... Wouldn't this imply that besides the born
Christ there was also an unborn one? Ever heard of Gothic
gnostics? :) I remember similar examples in the Bible without the
article, e.g. at andanahtja þan waurþanamma.