Getica 129-130

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Thu Feb 28 23:01:17 UTC 2008

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> [...]
> BTW, do you have any idea of Ovida? Anything to do with haubiþ?

I hadn't looked into that one, but it seems possible, phonetically,
with Austrogothic monophthongisation. Or if Odiva is the correct form,
could it be *Auda-weiwa, or something like that?

> > *Sarus, *Sarila, *Sarula, man. Jord. Sarus; Wz. Sarilo; OIc. Sörli;
> > Lat. Sarus, a Gothic warlord; Go. sarwa, na.pl. `armour'.
>
> If true, it should be *Sarws, no? And diminutive - *Sarwila?

We had this same dilemma with the adjectives *falwaz and *salwaz, and,
as far as I can remember, I don't think we came to any definite
conclusions. I the current version of Drus, I've still got them as
wa-stems (salwo, falwans (cf. *falwiska in Köbler)), but there is a
case for making them into u-stems, so maybe I should have *saljo and
*faljans after all. *Sarus would certainly be in keeping with skadus <
*skadwaz. I can't find a clear explanation of this, but could it be
that [w] became [u], in this position between a consonant and final
/s/ or nothing, after a short *root* rather than (as sometimes stated)
simply after a short syllable. So we have triggws, lasiws and þiwadw
but skadus (also attested in the dative as skadau). It's a pity there
aren't more examples to judge from, so we could tell whether this was
a general rule, and whether it was applied to wa-stem edjectives too.
For want of more clues, my preference would be *Sarus since this form
is attested, not only for the legendary figure here, but also for a
historical Visigothic leader.

> > *Hamaþius, mwa., *Hamiþeis, mja., *Hamiþa, man., *Hamjis, mja.
> Jord.
> > Ammius; Wz. Hamido; OIc. Hamðir; Go. ga-hamon `put on, dress
> oneself
> > in'; OIc. hamr (gen. -s, pl. -ir) `skin, outward shape', OE homa,
> OHG
> > hamo `skin, clothes', OHG hemidi `clothing, long undershirt',
> OFries.
> > hemethe, OE hemeþ.
>
> Right. I meant a posible Iranian etymology, ama "powerful" (I'm not
> sure about this, just saw it somewhere), and sar "head". But in the
> saga (and what Jordanes is retelling here was already a saga among
> the Goths) the names, if not originally Germanic, must have been
> already Germanized.

By the way, have you seen this:
Otto Maenchen-Helfen: The World of the Huns [
http://www.kroraina.com/huns/mh/ ]?